Sunday, June 22, 2008

GMW - G = MW

When I left San Diego on June 17, it was the last time that GMW would be together for 2008. At the airport, as Grace & Wury were dropped me off, Grace got out of the car and demanded, "Wo yao baobao." (I want a hug.) Usually, I'd high five or do something of the like but remembering that I didn't give her a hug to send her off to Argentina last year and also knowing that I wouldn't see her until January 2009, I muttered, "Gei ni baobao," (I will give you a hug.) and hugged her.

It was weird.

The day before, Wury and I rushed back from Resolved, missing out on what sounded like an epic CJ Mahaney sermon and another sermon from John Piper, so that we could spend our last moments with Grace. I made jjajangmyung which we ended up eating with one of our subletters and one of Cesar's coworkers ('cause she needed a place to stay). Not exactly the cozy GMW meal that I had in mind but it didn't bother me too much.

Then we to take those sticky pictures at WOW! pictures. Wury kept on saying that it would be like an exam, to see if I understood what the machine was saying. I couldn't read any of the characters on the screen and it was too noisy to hear what the machine was saying to us. ;o; All I could read was, "Be careful for the curtain!" We didn't know what it meant until a curtain came flying out of the machine a few times. Then it took pictures kind of by random so we didn't have time to pose for them. Still, it was a lot of spontaneous fun. :) Then we decorated the pictures for what seemed like 20 minutes.

It was Berries & Beans next. We sat there, talking and eating. We didn't talk about anything deep or super important. I think that if anything, we were relishing the normalcy of the time that we were spending together. There didn't seem to be a rush to talk about last minute "What are you scared about?" kind of things. It was really relaxed and slow paced.

Then we headed to Wury's and sat in the jacuzzi for a little bit. Then we really started talking. Then we got kicked out by security. D:

Wury came to our place and slept over. I was busy packing so Grace & Wury fell asleep. I was crazy tired from Resolved and from driving. The day had worn me down a bit too. I wish I could say that I looked at Grace & Wury asleep in the living room and prayed or treasured that moment but to be honest, I knocked out. Hahahaha.

It really is weird. I'm so used to seeing these two girls all the time. And to be honest, when I see them, it gives me a lot of relief. Kind of like when you see a familiar face in the crowd, you know? These two ladies have provided so much friendship, love, and care for me and to know that I won't have that during the summer and my time in Japan, Lord willing, is really weird. It helps to think, though, that I have all eternity to spend in perfect fellowship with these ladies. ;)

I don't want this post to sound like a farewell post but at the same time, the reality of the situation's finally starting to sink its teeth into me. Grace is leaving in less than twelve hours. Wury's leaving in a month. Then I'll peace out three weeks after her.

It's going to be difficult. I know that it will be difficult. There's no one that I really know who's going to Japan but for Grace and Wury, they REALLY don't know anyone going with them to their respective countries. They'll be in their countries longer than I will be. Loneliness is a big struggle abroad, I hear, and I know that I'll probably be hit with it-- and I'm praying that Grace and Wury won't.

Now I am at that awkward place where I don't know how to end this entry so I will end it right here. But please pray for us. I think that the reality of studying abroad, of it actually happening now, is making me consider things that I didn't really hit me before. We need prayer desperately!

1 comment:

John said...

haha I'll be in Japan =] i know we don't know each other all that well, but perhaps we can at least try to encourage one another while we're in Japan. as much as i know you'll be krazy busy and all, it'd mean a lot to me to have some lbc accountability while i'm there. please don't consider me an MIA, and i'll be sure not to either. that said, enjoy your last few weeks here, and i'll see you on the flip side =]