Thursday, October 9, 2008

Being a foreigner in Denmark

So just like Grace and Moon, I also have experienced the bad side of being a foreigner. When some people ask me where I'm from, I say: "California from the United States." And then they ask again: "Nooo, where are you from - China? Japan?" This one man asked me and then with his fingers he stretched the skin around his eyes so they became slanted. Man, how stereotypical! People are super ignorant and not very sensitive about being respectful. I get a lot of: "Hey Chinese girl!" And sometimes when men are drunk they say: "Ching chong ching..." It really gets annoying and I kinda just want to punch them in the face - but I'm glad the Holy Spirit takes a hold of me.

So more to experiencing the bad side of being a foreigner is being taken advantage of. I got a job recently (quit it now) at a hotel called Tulip Copenhagen Centre. For the past month and a half, I was looking for a part-time job so that I can pay for my own food and personal expenses here. My dad has been financially burdened enough with paying my rent, my tuition, and some travel expenses. So since I have about 8 hours of class a week I thought, okay why not get job! But finding a job was super tiring - gotta bike there, lock your bike, go inside, ask if there are part-time jobs, give the resume, etc. I did this for at least 2o places. And why it's so hard to work in Denmark as a foreigner is because they want Danish speakers. Something as simple as working in the supermarket I cannot even do just for the reason that I don't speak Danish. And I don't get why they have that - because almost everyone here speaks English, so why don't they just hire me?! I've bumped into so many places that needs workers, but just because I don't speak Danish fluently they don't hire me. Bummer huh?

So last last Tuesday I decided that I was going to target this one area where there are hotels. I was already pretty desperate at this point and didn't care if I had to clean hotel rooms. So printed 10 more resumes and tried to put on a good face so that I could get a job. I was already pretty tired of looking for one at this point. I've been praying about this a lot that if God gives me a job - I'll be sure to not just hoard the money to myself, but that I would serve the church and serve others with the money too. I also really want to be a good steward of my time here in Denmark and know that I could use the extra time that I have to make some money. So yeah I went into hotels, and most of them didn't need any part-time workers because the peak tourism times are over now. Plus recession is horrible everywhere. But ran into Tulip - and basically talked to the manager of the hotel restaurant. I gave him my resume and he said that he would call me later that afternoon to make his decision. I got super excited to hear that. So I went back to the library to study some and then I got a call like 3 hours after I had went into the hotel. He wanted me to swing by the hotel restaurant, so I did and we talked about availability and the things that I would be doing. So he asked if I wanted to start that day! So I gladly said yes! I was thanking God for making this so smooth! I wanted to talk about the pay and all of that - but decided to hold off that question. The reason why I did that was because I knew that okay this is pretty nice hotel and it seemed like things were running in the right manner. So that night just showed me around and told me things I was going to do. We prepared dinner for 3 people and that was that! I only trained for about 2.5 hours and then after working I asked the boss if we could talk about the payments and all of that stuff and he said: Yeah, we'll talk about that tomorrow. So as I was riding my bike back home, I kept thanking God for graciously giving me a job. I was so excited that I finally got one!

So I was actually scheduled to come in the next morning at 6am, but then my ex-boss actually called me later that night telling me that I did not need to come since another waitress was going to be there. So went to bed but then I get a call at 6:53AM and it was my ex-boss asking me if I could please come in because the other girl didn't show up. I wasn't going to lie to him, because I was free and didn't have class until 10AM so I got there ASAP at 7:30AM. So worked with the chef and all was smooth. Everything seemed to be going right - and my boss and I had set up a time to talk about the pay. So while working the breakfast buffet with the chef, I got to talk with him about how much I should be getting paid, about the hotel, etc. And that's when some red flags started to come out. First, the chef told me that the hotel was going under new ownership and this new ownership was not putting in enough money into this hotel. Second, he said that I was probably not employed with the hotel yet but with just the restaurant. So yeah - some red flags huh.

So after my class ended at 12PM, my ex-boss was supposed to call me. I waited for this call but it didn't come, so I called him. He picked up and said that he was busy with the restaurant at the moment and asked if we could talk later. So yeah waited longer...no call. So I called him - no pick up. Called him again later that evening - no pick up. Now I was starting to get worried. Now I was also scheduled to work Friday morning at 6AM. So I woke up around 5:20AM, but accidently fell back asleep! Haha whoops. And woke up again at 6:22AM. I immediately called the chef and told him that I was going to be there in 15-20 minutes! But he said that I didn't need to come in. And he asked, "Palle (ex-boss) didn't tell you?" And that's when I realized that I've been cheated and taken advantage over. I didn't want to get angry at 6:30AM so I just went back to sleep - glad anyway that I didn't need to work the breakfast buffet.

So I was also scheduled to work Saturday at 6AM too - but Friday, I tried calling me ex-boss several times. Still no pickup. So I just finally left a voice mail and text message saying how we were supposed to talk about pay and that if he wanted me to work things should be straightened out. But after leaving those messages, I just knew that he wasn't going to pay me for the 6 hours that I've worked.

So yeah - I got angry and frustrated inside, but then I was talking to God more about this whole situation that happened. Like okay God, what do you want to teach me? I've never really been wronged like this before - but then God was just reminding me to love others. And looking to the example of Jesus who loved his enemies - when they spat on Him, shouted at Him, mocked Him, beat Him, whipped Him, scourged Him, crucified Him...He still forgave them. So I forgave my ex-boss in my heart. So the next Tuesday, I had wanted to speak with him face to face and give him back the tie that I was supposed to wear for work. I was ready to talk with him calmly and walking in the hotel again I felt a bit nervous. I was talking with the receptionist and she explained to me that the hotel restaurant actually got shut down.

And looking back, I see that God was actually trying to protect me too. Because if this kept on going on and I still kept working - then I probably wouldn't have been paid for even more hours worked. And I was stupid for not settling all that legal paper work in the beginning before working...

But now I have a new job! This lovely Chinese lady at my church, Ying, worked at this other hotel for 4 years and they pay well, bosses are nice, coworkers are nice, free breakfast and lunch, and they do things legally! Haha, but it's no more waitressing/helping the cook it's housekeeping! Haha yes, I am a housekeeper for a hotel. The hotel is called Park Inn. It's a really humbling job. I gotta scrub the toilet, clean the bathroom (with all kinds of hair in it), replace all kinds of things in the room, change bedsheets, make the bed, vacuum, dust, etc. It's weird that now I'm the one knocking on the door and saying: "Housekeeping!" Haha it's really weird...But hey - I'm almost 21 now and I need to start supporting for myself on my own. It's a good experience, it really is and even though it's not the best job in the world - I have a peace in my heart because I know that God wants me there. I say to myself: "Wury, don't complain - this is good practice before you become a wife/mom - God-willing." So when I sleep at hotels, I'll just be thinking and criticising how they make the beds and clean the bathroom. Haha.

So today was my third time coming in to work, and the people that I work with are nice and interesting. I've been able to share about God and really open up with one coworker, Jing. And my bosses right now want to know what the Bible explicitly says about homosexuality. Haha. That topic might get a little sticky - but gotta tell them the truth!

But yeah - should get going and get to bed earlier. Gotta be up by at least 6:30! Goodnight all!

2 comments:

Grace said...

wanna do housekeeping in 2107 when you get back? ;)

Moon said...

Grace, you just lost wifey points. Plumeted all the way down into the negatives. Hahahahahaha.

Wury! I was going to email you yesterday about how your job was going! But since I didn't get around to it, I was going to email you when I got back home today!

Praise God for protecting you from that whole restaurant mess. :) I feel like the title "housekeeper" sounds kinda cute and cozy. Hahaha even though it's probably a euphamism for "hotel cleaner." But that's ok. There's not really much that you can lose on that job, except pride, which is something that's worth losing. :D