Thursday, October 9, 2008

Very annoying week: Japan edition

Contrary to Grace's week, my week started off wonderfully. Had a wonderful time at church and got to really hang out with church people for the first time. Monday was a pretty normal day and then on Tuesday, I got my Japanese test back and had gotten a really good grade on it (then I got an email concerning our housing mess-- but by now, it had become part of the every day routine). Then I later went to the sadou club (sadou = 茶道, lit. "way of tea") and had an awesome time there.

It was that evening when the bad week began.

I'm not entirely sure about what I have but I don't think that it's a cold. I had miso soup that evening, along with some sausages. I checked the expiration date on the sausages and it was ok. As for the tofu in my miso soup, I think that it might've been a day over the expiration date but didn't check it carefully. (I had miso soup on Sunday and checked the expiration date then and I remembered thinking, "Whew, made it just in time.") (I just checked the expiration date on the tofu... the container was still in my trash can. It was two days past the expiration date.) Anyway, the miso soup tasted fine, perhaps 'cause I was so hungry, but I noticed on my second to last bite that it tasted kind of sour. I was really weirded out but just finished all of it anyway since I only had a little bit more left. Then, literally about an hour later, my whole body went cold. So I bundled up a bit but no matter what I did, I just felt really cold. (I even put on my cute little toe socks :D)

I went to bed right away and just hoped that I didn't wake up with a fever.

...

I woke up with a fever.

I skipped Japanese to hopefully squeeze in more sleep but it was a largely unsuccessful attempt. Finally, I hauled my butt out of bed and somehow made it to school. I went up to the clinic in the hope of getting a doctor's note to excuse me from class but was told that there was a special health examination going on for the staff and faculty, thus the doctor could not see me. So I asked if the nurse could write me a note and she said that she was not authorized to do it, so no. She just kept on saying, "Gomen, ne... yoku nete, mizu wo yoku nonde ne..." (Sorry... sleep a lot and drink a lot of water, ok?) I walked away from the clinic in tears because I just stinkin' wanted to go home so I wouldn't have to sit through my 4 hour class.

I went down to the UC Tokyo Study Center to enlist their help somehow and one of the staff members went up to the clinic with me and talked the nurse into getting my temperature taken and for a note with the inkan (stamp) of the clinic. The nurse asked if that were ok and I said yes, it was compleeeetely fine. (In my head, I was thinking, "YES, IT'S DAIJOUBU. JUST GIMME A NOTE NOW. D:")

So I got the note but I had to kill an hour to wait for the 4 hour class to begin. So I spent it in the library, where I was cold, yet fever-y, and miserable. After that hour, I went up to class, showed my professors (there are 2 professors for that class) the note, and then made yet another miserable commute back home. As soon as I got back at 4:30 PM, I knocked out but kept on waking up at 30 minute ~ 1 hour intervals, all the way until 5 AM. Then I was able to get in a solid 2.5 hours of sleep. :D

I'm thinking that it's food poisoning again (good job, Moon-- you poisoned yourself). I don't really know what to do about it but to try to sleep more and to stay hydrated. I had a fever of 38.1 degrees Celcius (100.58 degrees Fahrenheit) for 24 hours and have had diarrhea for the past 48 hours (doesn't look like it's going to let up any time soon. This'll probably require medical attention?). And now that I don't have a fever, I just have a really gnarly headache and some weird abdominal pain in my gut (not a stomach ache, though). What's wrong with me? D:

Mkay, enough with my sad, sad posts. I can't believe that I've gotten sick twice already. I've only been in Japan for a month and a half. -_-;

Well, I have to go to school tomorrow, headache or not. I'll try to have a picture post soon! Bye bye.