Monday, August 4, 2008

Chile: What I eat

I've started to buy my own food because I am no longer provided with three meals a day anymore. Today was a trip to the supermercado, and I thought it might be interesting to show you all what I got at the supermarket because I love food and I especially love healthy food. However, since coming to Chile, I've really had to lower my health standards here. (GASP!) Everything that has flour in it probably has trans fat...even certain "healthy" whole wheat breads :( I feel like such a traitor sometimes because I created the facebook group "I Hate Trans Fat." I still do, but I honestly can't help it sometimes.

Anyhoo, onwards to the food!
The kitchen. This is where the magic happens. Yes. It really is that narrow.

The tiny fridge. I'm taller than it. I haven't seen any fridges here that are USA-sized. That strange curly haired foam boy always weirds me out.

And inside is...yoghurt! I miss Mountain High Yoghurt :( So creamy and delicious...this Chilean Yoplait one is OK, better than some other Chilean brands I've tried, but it is certain no Mountain High.

Having adventurous taste buds, I bought aloe vera yoghurt! It was so tasty and refreshing. Definitely going back for more.

I found granola here to accompany my yoghurt! I know, I know. I need to lay off the American brands (Yoplait, Nestle, Quaker) but it's what I know and trust. All the rest look shady, untasty, and weird. Remember this alien cereal?
Wouldn't want to make the same mistake again...

Whole wheat pasta, of course.

Fat free milk all the way! They don't have fresh milk here. They're all packaged in TetraPak so it's not refrigerated in the market. So weird.

Honey for my tea, of course! Speaking of tea, I bought coffee-flavored mate when I was in Argentina. I'm waiting for a special occasion to try it.
Speaking of Argentina, I was having some serious craving for Argentine alfajores this past week. I had brought some back to Santiago knowing that Chilean alfajores are inferior (Yes, I said it. Any Chilean reading this, please don't kill me). However, I only have two more alfajores left and more than one month to go before I can go back to Argentina (Lord willing). I was getting anxious and very close to settling for Chilean alfajores when suddenly, tucked away in the corner of the Chilean supermarket was a shelf full of Argentina alfajores! And here it is, in all its Argentine glory...DROOOOOOL. (P.S. It has trans fat)

And, an obligatory downtown Santiago shot to close off this post. It rained today so the skies cleared up. I saw blue skies and the snow-capped Andes peeked out to say hello. I saw this hill from my room and for the first time noticed it was green!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

nestle is swiss, so you're still being diverse. :-)

Moon said...

Alfajores have trans fat? D: Good thing I left them at the apartment. I don't want 'em anymore. (Unless if they're the white ones.)

Whole wheat pasta is so nasty. I don't know how you do it. D:

wuryah said...

:) FOOOOD! :) Dude, you would love my Danish Yoghurts!

Grace said...

Higa: Haha yay! Yoplait..is that French or something?

Moo Tang: some alfajores have trans fat. I bought this Milka brand one that doesn't have any. It's like a cookie...it's so delicious...I only have one more. The ones I bought at the Chilean market were more like cakes.

Wuwu: I'm jelly.

Anonymous said...

No estas no mas con tu madre chilena? Y como es el queso en Chile? Estoy comiendo mozarella y pensando en ti. Cuidate!

Grace said...

Hola Romi, si yo me quede con mi mama chilena, pero no quiero pagar mas por 3 comidas cada dia, entonces ella solo cocina la cena para mi.
Los quesos chilenos son ricos también. Hay un queso que creo se llama...queso mantecoso que es medio-fuerte y blanco con little holes. El otro que como es quesillo, que es flimsy y suave, casi como gelatina y no es muy fuerte. Yummmmm. Te extraño Romi!