Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Week 2, Part 1 in København, Denmark!

Wow, I feel like this past week I've done so much! I'm just looking back at pictures and it's like WOW...time is going by sorta fast now! Well started the Pre-Semester Danish Language Course last Monday. I have to take the S-tog and Metro to class which is at the KUA - Kobenhavn University Amager.


The building is pretty new 1 1/2 years old about - so everything is clean, modern, and sleek. I like..wish UCSD was more like that.

But yeah the Danish class goes from 9:00am - 12:30pm and Monday through Friday for 3 weeks. So intensive stuff! Like it's weird because in other language courses it's so structured, but we start learning numbers and the alphabet with in like 5 minutes then already move on to questions and phrases. But it's been fun and hard! Because there are so many consonants that you don't pronounce or vowels that you pronounce differently. Haha I would not be able to explain it in words.

Finall got to meet some people - especially the International students! People are from EVERYWHERE. But here are some of the students in my class! I sit in between Laura from Germany! and that's Julia from Austria too next to her.


Laura and Julia are such nice girls.


and then that's Samuel from Germany who sits next to me on my left.

So on August 6th many of the International students got to go on a Canal Tour off og Nyhavn. It wasn't that fun because I already ventured out around the areas that we saw.

Bunch of us International Students on the Canal Tour.


This is the famous Little Mermaid or in Danish "Den Lille Havfrue!" So the real story is actually pretty sad. Here's the ending of the real story shortened - what my Rick Steve's Guidebook says:

"She woos the prince - who loves her in return - but he eventually marries another. Heartbroken, the mermaid prepares to die. She's the one last chance to save herself: She must kill the prince on his wedding night. She snakes into the bedchamber with a knife...but can't bear to kill the man she loves. The mermaid throws herself into the sea to die. Suddenly, she's miraculously carried up by the mermaids of the air, who give her an immortal soul as a reward for her long-suffering love."

So there she waits forever for her lost love... Sad story huh?


Went through lots of canals - kinda boring but there's the like all these cool buildings. Not sure which this one is...

But after that a bunch of us went to go eat! We walked through Strøget - the pedestrian shopping mall street.


So we went on the hunt to eat where Rick Steve recommended called: Riz Raz Vegetarian Buffet! This cost us 79 DKK ($16) and then ordered a Red House Wine which added about $5 for each person. Still not a fan of the wine too much - but I can see why it's an acquired taste.



There's Mishael from Germany and Ruizi from Singapore!


Yum yum...... Jelly??!

Wednesday, August 7th:
Rundbold Tournament in Fælledparken!

In my Danish class we all signed up to play in the tournament! Rules for Rundbold are similar to baseball - except you can like stack up people on bases and the pitcher has to yell STOP and touch the base to make the ball dead. If you're caught running and not on a base when the pitcher yells stop then you're out. It was fun because I was the most experienced in "baseball" on the team. Haha all the European guys on my team were like: "Wury, teach me how to bat." Haha and once I came up to bat - the pitcher from the other team would be like: "Hooooo...." Haha. They asked me how I knew how to play - and I told him that I have a very American white boyfriend. Haha. I made some good home runs for the team. :) Garrett you would be proud! Haha. We got 2nd place in the tournament!






Luca from Switzerland! And Fabio from Germany!

Okay will update for a Part 2 of my Week 2! Getting late - but watching Olympics right now in Danish! It's good because we've been learning earlier last week about nationalities and numbers and I'm getting lots of that! Haha. Excuse to watch sports and learn more Danish! Haha.

Vi ses i morgen! (See you tomorrow!) Gotta go do my hjemmearbejde (homework) or HA. Haha it's not HW anymore for me!

God dag! (Good day!)

1 comment:

Grace said...

Wuwu! This looked like so much fun! Once again, you are the star player of the team, even outside of the US. Hehehehe. I also like how people in the pis are classified by name + country.