Sunday, July 13, 2008

Chilean church membership; Cajon del Maipo

As usual, another great Sunday attending church and worshiping God in castellano. Though it was my second time attending Luz al Mundo, I've becoming slowly integrated into the church family. Yesterday was the young adults meeting, with church members from ages 16-late 20's in attendance. I spoke with one of the elders, who is from Germany, about church membership and his role in a missionary organization in Chile. The purpose of the missionary organization is to make Chilean churches branch out into the world through missions because they are inward focused right now. It made me glad to hear that the Great Commission is a reality for Chilean churches in this era and it's not just the United States sending out missionaries. The elder also told me that they are trying to teach systematically from the Bible. That made me smile. :D

As far as church membership goes, Luz al Mundo has a formal church membership process as well. It's a five-week process where you have to take a class that teaches you the Gospel and then guides you to be committed to growing your private spiritual life as well, such as having correct relationships with people and God (similar to Peacemaker's Pledge, from what I understood) and being committed to daily devotions. I thought it was great that they emphasized these things because they are crucial aspects of the Christian life. They have members' meetings/retreats as well! Furthermore, one needs to be a member to serve in the church. I think us gringos (there's four of us) in the church are in a weird position because we are not here for a long time so it's hard to fully integrate us knowing that we'll be leaving in December...unless one of us extends...haha.

God is answering my prayer requests that I would submit to the leadership here. Even though it's not Lighthouse, I am not comparing it and being critical. It makes me even more thankful for Lighthouse that I sat under solid teaching that I can be discerning as well as supplement what I learned from LBC with the lighter (less theology-heavy) but still biblically-based sermons and messages.

Anyway, we'll see as the weeks come along what my position as an attendee is...
But for now, I have a few pictures from a very unexciting class project trip to Cajon del Maipo, about 1.5 hours outside of Santiago. This is a place where Santiaguinos go to escape the esmog and city life. It was a silver mining town back in the day, thus very reminiscent of Caifornia's small mining towns such as Calico or Julian-- only with a Chilean twist. And many, many, many more quiltros (yucky mutt dogs...nasty. Yes, I am a hater.)
This is one of the "must sees." A little Catholic chapel. Do you like the scattered group picture? Do you like the 59976086 dogs in the background? SO nasty. They can smell gringos from a mile away and they followed us around thinking we would feed them. Yeah right. There was also this nasty golden lab that had a tumor around its neck the size of a Nerf football. It jiggled when the dog ran... >.<

The poster outside the door of the chapel. I think this means "He also has faith in you."

The inside of the chapel. Nothing special.


More dog! Haha! I was trying to get a nice picture of the cordillera (mountain range) and it was after I took the foto that I realized I caught that quiltro mid-action...

A random hostel in the middle of this random town. I ask myself, "Who would stay here anyway?" I think we came on a bad day though. It rained and ruined all the outdoorsy fun we could've enjoyed. It also made me buy a new black jacket with a fuzzy hood for $20 from the ONLY clothing store in Cajon del Maipo. Yay Chilean fashion!

As part of the class project, I had to conduct interviews with the locals. This here is Senor Francisco R-something who worked at the restaurant where we ate lunch. He is a die-hard fan of Cajon del Maipo. More power to you, Senor Francisco.

Back in civilization, the rain really cleared up the nasty esmog in Santiago! This is the view outside of an empty room in the apartment. It makes me want to occupy this room.

Off in the distance is Cerro Cristobal...I think that's the right name. Either way, there is a pregnant Virgin Mary on top of that hill that is illuminated at night and can be seen from the streets. Here is a pregnant Virgin Mary unilluminated in the daylight.

Close up. One day, I will go up on that hill.

And it was this view that sold me. THE ANDES! IN ITS SNOW-CAPPED GLORY!! It's an amazing sight to behold when it peeks out from behind the smog, kind of the same feeling when you get to see the ocean from certain points on the UCSD campus. You just have to stop, take a breath, and enjoy its grandeur and beauty.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

lies. you just wanted a dirty picture of a dog doing its thang.vrrw

Grace said...

OK I lied, but I took it for you, Higa ; )

Anonymous said...

aww, besos!! so i hope you're discovering that chilean food aint so bad...

Moon said...

That jacket. It doesn't seem like something you'd wear. But $20? Heck yeah!

wuryah said...

haha. oh wu wu wu!