Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Traveling budget

Being the ultra-money-conscious person I am (I save all receipts and double-check them against my bank statements and have a running Excel spreadsheet...although I completely skipped calculating anything for the month of July) I decided to have some fun calculating the total cost of my trip to Argentina. I'm bound to have saved a ton of money for traveling to a country that is weak against the U.S. dollar, riiiight?

The grand total (price includes airfare and hostel):
$798.32
D:
First of all, I didn't even know I had $800 to spend...
Second of all, THAT'S TWO MONTHS OF RENT!
Thirdly, I spent the most on food. I also spent a lot on cash withdrawals, but I can't account for everything I bought with cash, so I have to go by my credit card statement.
Fourth, to be fair, without housing and airfare, I spent $388.79.
Fifth, but oh my gahhhhhhhh!!!! $800?!? And to think I could've spent even more were it not for some kind gifts that were given to me...

Lesson learned: calculate everything. Money runs like water when you're not careful. Now I'm working on my August Excel spreadsheet...