Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Brrrrrr....


The temperature here has totally dropped.... it's getting so cold here! The lowest today will be 7C!! And for those that don't think in terms of Celsius I'll do the conversions for you. It is equivalent to 44.6 F! Man, I gotta put away the sandals and flats already. That's a dilemma though because I only brought running shoes, my really cheap H&M flats that are now ripping, and my sandals that have been tearing up because I keep stubbing my foot on the cobblestone sidewalks.

So things to buy: BOOTS and COAT. But they are so expensive! And I'm PO. Very very PO.

Been trying to look for a part-time job, but I keep getting rejected because I don't speak Danish (well). I feel so discriminated against! If everyone can speak English here - can't they just hire me?? So sad...there's this restaurant/cafe right around the corner and they are looking for a part-time worker, but they want someone Danish-speaking. So seriously the only jobs that minorities do here are: dishwashing in restaurants and cleaning in hotels. EEEKKk.... I really don't want to do those kinda jobs but I think I just might have to. Sigh...But pray for me please! Not just so that I can earn money, but also so that I can give to the church here and also serve others!

But let's see what else can I update on... Did I tell everyone that I'm an associate member now at FIBC?! It's been good to have the right hand of fellowship extended to me! What was really neat was that my church made the new members and i stand in front of the congregation and stay there when the service was done. Then people gladly welcomed us, shook our hands, and gave us hugs to invite us in for fellowship. It was really warm :)

Church has been pretty good so far. I shouldn't complain - there are just minor details I think that might get to me, but who's to say that I know everything. I need to stop being arrogant and prideful that I think I know more or I know how to run a church or how the preaching should be done. But Pastor Erik who is on sabbatical preached on Sunday! I was glad to finally hear him preach! He was challenging us a lot to think about spiritual leadership - and how are we doing on having our encounters with God on a daily basis, how is our character/integrity, how are we training to be spiritual leaders? And the goals of spiritual leadership should lead to spiritual maturity, to leadership itself, and to glorify God! Really short summary of his sermon...But yes I'm being challenged here to how I can be a spiritual leader during this short time in Copenhagen.

Joined the Connect LIFE group which is like our college/young adults group and hopefully if scheduling works will be a part of the W omen's Bible Study group going through Colossians! I really want to be in Pastor Tom's wife's small group Barb...but I don't know we'll see what happens and why God is making things they way they are happening! But another exciting thing with church is that I'm serving in the music ministry! The opportunity to encourage people through singing has been really good! Praising the Lord with our voices is something that my soul loves to do. :)

And for school, it's already the third week of school! Classes have been good so far - except trying to understand one of my professors is really hard because he can't really speak English and he stutters quite a lot to try to find the right words. So yeah - testing my patience and respect for him because yeah it's pretty boring if you can't understand his explanations on theories of Marginalization Sociology. But it's only once a week for that class so I'm glad. Haha. I'm also taking Mediasociology which is much much more interesting. Probably a topic that WuWuWu knows more about. :) Kinda interesting though to try to relate to myself when I try to not be part of the media culture because 1 John 2:15 tells us: Do not love the world nor the things in the worl. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him." My media should be the Bible! I might have ideas for a paper for this class about commentaries, sermon audio messages, and the Bible and how that type of media affects Christians. Just an idea.

Well, gotta get going on reading more about this media information techonolgy society that we're in. Bleh. And I need to do my laundry - no more undies left! Haha.

1 comment:

Grace said...

Coats and boots are so European. You're all sophisticated and stylin' while I'm here with fanny packs and MC Hammer pants :[
Can you get a job doing something at your university? Can your study center help you find a job?