Monday, September 8, 2008

Chilean mines: El Teniente Mine in Rancagua

I went to a mine for a mandatory EAP class trip to learn about the copper mining industry in Chile. Copper's had a huge industry here since the 1940's when American companies set up a mining town here to make the ideal worker community where the miners worked and raised their families. The mine was pretty dull and dusty, and it wasn't exactly a photographically inspiring place. However, I edited the photos to make it a tad bit more interesting and the results were quite fun!
Up on the hill is where the miners lived.

This is what miners found. Stephanie Higa-- I took this for you! It's a sulfuric rock, which turns blue because of its contact with air. It's bluuuuue.

And this is where the miners went to church.

And this is how the miners get inspired to work well.

This is how miners talked on the phone.

This is how miners dress in 2008!

This is a mannequin of an old-school miner.

The coolest part was finding out that miners no long use a hammer and a pick to dig rocks. They use computers and a motorized hammer. Like a video game!

Taking our bus into the mine. Air was dusty, musty, and dirty.

Inside the mine. Buses and trucks drive through it all the time to transport people.

All right, now for the souped up pictures!
Before and after. This was a room where miners used to live. Yes, that is the ceiling falling. So safe for tourists.

Befores.


Afters. The bowling alley was a meeting place/diversion for the miners. It was probably the most inspiring part because of the 1940's-1950's feel I got from the place. The top picture of the alley is my desktop background now :)

Before and after: Letters to God.

Before and after: Blue chapel.

That's about it from the mine. Pretty uneventful. But I celebrated my birthday yesterday a few days early. A big package from the USA came to me...
From Ricardo WU!!

I felt so bad when I saw this...my dad told me shipping for my brother cost double the amount he spent on the contents. :((( At least I know I have a brother who wuvs me.

But look what I got! And I will use the candles for a small bday tea party my Chilean mother will be hosting for me on Wednesday.

And a sweet tarjeta de cumpleaños. Aww. Thanks, Ricardo Wu!

Got lunch at an Argentine grill place right outside my apartment. Mmmmm meat... So thankful for everyone that came. It's my first bday away from my parents, but still that there is a group of people I can rely on even when I'm far away from USA is a blessing :)

And dessert at Bravissimo, of course.

And I got lots of chocolate as presents. Haha. The most practical as well cuz I can just eat it all!

And random thing: I bought Danish pate. Not very good...smelled really bad, texture was bad. Wuwu, tell your people to import better pate over here!

5 comments:

Ann said...

happy birthday :) (it's 10:30 on the 9th here so i'm a little early...)

i'll eat an egg tart in your name tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! <3333

wuryah said...

Girl, you gotta get the one that has bacon in it! MMMM SO GOOD!

Anonymous said...

and p.s., blue rock!! i remember having something like that called peacock rock. is it iridescent?

Grace said...

Yes! It is!