Monday, September 1, 2008

Chinese food in Chile

Real Chinese food is impossible to come across. Sure, there are Chinese restaurants every 2 blocks scattered throughout Santiago, but all the food is severely lacking. Egg rolls taste like thick fried dough with salty cabbage pieces. Fried rice is white, dry, and crumbly. Mongolian beef does not have the salty-sweetness of soy sauce and sugar. Chow mein looks like stir-fried ramen noodles. You get the point. Sigh. The last time I had a real Chinese meal was from Momma Wu back in the US. :'( That was more than 2 months ago...

Until today.

I've talked about my Chinese-Chilean friend whose parents own 2 Chinese restaurants here. Her dad's restaurant is super close to my university campus, so after getting the address from her, I went there after class. I was greeted by a cute Chinese girl (Hua=Flower)and I explained to her I was a friend of Cui Xia's and I wanted to order something to go.

Me: What's good on this menu? I want authentic Chinese food.
Hua: If you want authentic Chinese, it'll probably be more authentic in the seafood section.
Me: (looking at how everything costs about $10...yikes.) How's the siu-mai?
Hua: Don't get it. It's really bad.
Me: Hmm (studies the menu for a long time).
Hua: If you want, you can eat lunch with us. The boss (Cui Xia's dad) will be coming in to cook for us in half an hour. He'll cook something authentic then.

An offer for authentic Chinese food?!?!? How can I refuse?

I took Hua up on her offer. I studied in the restaurant and waited for Cui Xia's dad to arrive. While waiting, I got to chat with a lot of the Chinese workers in the restaurant. One arrived in Chile just a few months ago so he barely knew any Spanish at all. I also chatted with one of the Chilean worker's 4-year-old daughter, who spoke "Barney" Spanish (as Lily Han calls it. Props to her, haha) so I understood everything she said! Haha!

Lunchtime was spent with Chinese people while the restaurant was closed for the afternoon! :) I ate with chopsticks and rice bowls. On the menu was tomato + egg stir fry, pork, and stir fried lettuce (which I believe would've been better with Napa cabbage, but I ain't gonna complain!). I was so excited to be eating this food I ate two bowls of white rice...pang tze indeed. My stomach and heart are extremely happy.

During lunch, they commented on how well I spoke Mandarin despite being American. They also commented on how I hold chopsticks incorrectly and offered me a fork :( I asked them about why they came to Chile, what it is like to own a business, being Hakka Chinese (a dialect my dad's side speaks, but I don't), and of course: Mao Tze Tung-- a crucial part of the Chinese imagination, regardless of whether one sees him as evil or good for China. They were surprised I knew about him cuz I'm so American, but I have Daddy and Mommy Wu to thank for drilling in my mind that he was an evil, repressive, Commie dictator.

They even invited me to hang out with their family during Fiestas Patrias, Chile's Independence Day (and the only day of the year they don't work...)! Furthermore, they said anytime I want to eat Chinese food, to just come to the restaurant during the afternoon and I can have an authentic Chinese lunch with them. I feel bad though for others who want real Chinese food but can't get it because they don't have the Chinese restaurant hookups. I feel like I have Chinese aunties and uncles here now. I should get them some fruits to thank them :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

:) That's great to hear Grace that you've been able to meet such a kind family who seems to be culturally sensitive as well haha. That must be hard being there with people assuming so many things about you just because of your ethnicity. I felt that way a lot too going to China where they called me Jin Hou Zi :P but since they were kids i just found it funny. I'm praying for you and hoping that you're doing well. Have you had a chance to share the Gospel with this family? It seems like an awesome opportunity! Well God Bless hope you are doing well.

Moon said...

Aww, this made my heart warm. A little bit.

Anonymous said...

mao mao!! heyy!! wow im so happy you found "our" ppl in Chile! haha. you should take some pictures with that family and post it. maybe if you really get to know them.. you can go make jiao zi and tang yuan with them too! btw it sounds like you're having a blast and really digesting the culture there!

Grace said...

Ryan-- jinh hou zi?? As in Golden Monkey?? HAHA, such clever children!

Moo Moo--WHen food is involved, your heart is bound to get "calentito" :)

Coleman-- Ni hao, comrade!! So long since I've heard from you! I want to spend Full Moon Festival with them too. I will continue updating about this Chinese family since I've established a good relationship with them now :)

Ann said...

what an adorable story. you should bring fruit to the next lunch... pull your weight around there, you brat! :)

wuryah said...

haha. LUCKY. omg $10 for a meal is what I would buy in an instant here! girl...you come to Denmark and you would starve. Pang Tze indeed! :) Jk..but you would starve out here. Haha.